We don’t want the process of submitting work to Referential Magazine to be stressful. Just look at those feet? Totally relaxed.
If you want more details about the project check the About page/tab.
We are open year round for referred submissions. Please read below for general guidelines and then stop by Submittable to submit your work: Submit to Referential Magazine. Please use the General heading for these submissions.
We are now CLOSED for FEATURED reading. Our last reading period was May 6-17th 2013. If you submitted during that reading period than final decisions should be made no later than the end of May. Next featured reading period is undetermined. Check back in September.
Please do not inquire as to the status of your submission until at least 60 days have passed. We normally respond MUCH quicker than that but it slows things down when we receive numerous emails when you submitted two days ago and want to know what our decision is.
- If you have been published in Referential already please wait 30 days after your last piece appears before sending new work. We also ask you to wait 30 days in between sending submission packets. This means please do not send another packet until 30 days after a decision was rendered on the work you sent in.
- Please submit in one genre at a time.
- We prefer previously unpublished work. We will only consider previously published work if it has not appeared online before. Please note where it was published before along with your submission.
- In your submission, indicate what piece and/or what part of the piece you are referring to. You MUST be referring to something that already appears on our site (but feel free to be adventurous about that, there is a lot of content on this site) This does not apply to FEATURE readings.
- Simultaneous submissions are ok but just let us know they are under consideration by more than one publisher.
- Payment is publication. You retain all rights after publication.
Poetry Submissions: No more than 3 poems per submission packet unless otherwise noted.
Prose Submissions: Send 1 piece of fiction or non-fiction at a time, unless otherwise noted or requested. We do not have a word count limit but we really want below 1500 words. We will read any genre of fiction and we will consider any type of non-fiction which is not limited to essays but could also be author interviews, book reviews. Challenge us to refer something new!
Art Submissions: Please submit up to 5 pieces at a time. You must submit at LEAST ONE referral but you can also provide a link to other photos/art you’d like considered that don’t necessarily refer to something on the site.
MISC: Have an interest in submitting something not listed here: mixed media, audio, video etc or just have a general question please email refermag(at)gmail.com. Please note, however, that even with mixed media you should indicate WHAT you are referring to from our website. See details above.
Editors Challenge: Are you the editor of an online magazine? Or of a print journal with online content? Do you have something you think could refer from one of our published pieces? Or refer to? Take the editor challenge and send me your links and where you think they fit to refermag(at)gmail.com. Our first editor challenge is up HERE. (We only want one editor challenge per piece so if you see one already listed, please select a different one!)
Spread the word and refer!
PS - When your work is accepted we assume we will be the only magazine you are publishing in. If you do, however, publish the piece later on in another magazine, anthology, or book please acknowledge that your work first appeared here. Your retain all rights to your work. We also prefer that your work not appear on a public blog or website unless you acknowledge that the work appeared here as well. Thanks for your courtesy in these matters.